Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Hasten La Vista, Baby

I like to make history -- even little bits of probably insignificant history that won't get into the Guinness Book of World Records.

I was the first customer when CompUSA opened in White Plains, New York. I got the first credit card when CompUSA opened in Norwalk, Connecticut. I bought the first copy of Windows 95 sold at Egghead Software (once a 200-store chain) in Yonkers, New York.

This morning, I bought the first copy of Microsoft Vista at Staples in Milford, Connecticut. Actually, I sort of bought it.

I was the first customer when they opened at 8AM. I was the first customer who wanted to buy Vista. I was the first customer who wanted to buy an upgrade version of the Ultimate Edition, and I was the first customer who wanted to buy the Small Business Edition of Microsoft Office 2007.

Unfortunately, the Milford Staples didn't have them in stock, and neither did the Staples stores in neighboring towns. The software is being sent to me from a Staples warehouse, and I should have Vista and Office in my office tomorrow.

Oh well, at least my receipt says I made history today.
UPDATE: Vista arrived Wednesday morning. It took nearly three hours to install, but no smoke came out of the PC and everything seems to work OK. Grusome details later.

No comments: