Thursday, March 5, 2009

Good news and sad news at Sam's Club

I normally love Costco, and approve of almost everything they do.

I got really pissed off at them last year when they replaced my beloved Austin Toasty Crackers With Peanut Butter Filling with the much-too-salty Lance's brand.

Fortunately, by driving about three miles farther, I could get to my usually-much-less-loved Sam's Club, and buy Austin there.

Yesterday I was shocked to find that Sam's, too, had replaced Austin with Lance's.

Depressed and dejected, I headed for the exit.

My mood quickly changed when I saw an item that had been missing from Sam's for about a year: a FOUR-POUND PILLSBURY CHOCOLATE CHUNK FUDGE BROWNIE.

Technically, it's a 4-lb. slab that could be cut into 42 normal size brownies, but it's much more fun to think of it as just one giant brownie.

Apparently the Austin crackers have been removed because of the peanut-salmonella scare.

Kellogg makes crackers under the Keebler and Austin brands and says it gets some of its peanut butter paste from the Peanut Corporation of America -- the same company linked to tainted peanut butter that has sickened people across the country.

Kellogg says they did not recall the crackers but issued a "precautionary hold...until the company can determined if any of its products are linked to the tainted peanut butter."

So far, the Keebler and Austin brand peanut butter crackers are not linked to any illnesses....and the company is telling customers to hold onto the crackers, but don't eat them, for now.

I still have a few Austin packs I stashed at home. To make them last longer, I'll alternate them with my brownies.

No comments: