Friday, February 13, 2009

A better alternative to disappointing
Ju-Ju hearts

Last month I complained that this year's vintage of Mayfair JuJu Hearts -- ordinarily my favorite candy -- was not as good as in previous years. The company switched to a supplier in Brazil instead of Canada, and the sweet gooey hearts were bigger and not nearly as delicious as in the past.

I am very pleased to report that candy maker Brach's has apparently duplicated the traditional Mayfar aroma, flavor, texture and size, with their made-in-Mexico Jube Jel Cherry Hearts, so I'll be able to make it through the 2009 Valentine's season OK. They're available at Walgreen's and probably elsewhere. I've seen two package sizes selling for 99 cents and $1.29. They should be half-price on 2/15.

Share the love -- or have a personal feast. If you need some hearts for a Valentine's Day gift, you'll pay full price. For yourself, wait 'til Sunday and save.

No comments: