Monday, October 6, 2008

Zwieback is great for big babies, too.

The medical definition of Zwieback is "sweetened bread that has been baked twice, preferred for infant feeding during teething."

It's baked as a loaf, which is then sliced into individual pieces that are baked again. (The more accurate name is zweiback from the German words meaning "twice baked.")

Anyway, my definition is "YUM."

Zwieback is about the size and shape of two adult fingers, golden-brown and crunchy, with a mild cinnamon taste. Babies love it. I love it. My dog loves it.

I don't remember if I ate it as a baby, but I love it as an adult. I've always eaten the Nabisco version, but apparently it's also sold by the Gerber baby food people.

It's great straight, right from the box. Or smear on some butter, margarine, salsa or peanut butter. You can also crush it and use it in or on cakes and other deserts.

It's definitely high on the list of comfort foods. If you can't find it in the cookie and cracker section of your supermarket, look in the baby section. Buy at least two boxes.

No comments: