Thursday, June 28, 2007

iPhone: tomorrow? later? never?

If you want a really cool toy, and expect to use it with WiFi, or don't care about the Web, buy it tomorrow.

If you want a really cool toy, and expect to use if with AT&T's wireless internet service, wait six months, or a year, or more, for AT&T to provide fast service nationwide. With their current crippled EDGE network, it can take a minute or even two minutes to load a web page -- but it will look gorgeous.

Two weeks ago, I went to my local AT&T store (formerly a Cingular store) to cancel the data service for my Samsung Sync cellphone, because it took so long to load a web page. I told the AT&T guy that I might get the service again when I bought an iPhone. He told me that if I didn't like the web service with my Samsung, I'd absolutely hate it with the iPhone. What a salesman!

Today, I arranged for a sneak preview and was able to play with an iPhone for a few minutes. It's an amazing phone/camera/iPod/tech showpiece that's easy to love for many reasons; but the slow web speed will keep me from spending the big bucks.

No comments: